Student Support Services
Park Tudor offers a comprehensive array of support services designed to assist students as they develop psychologically, socially and intellectually.
Park Tudor counselors and school psychologists help students navigate the ups and downs of childhood and adolescence. They guide students on issues like conflict resolution and stress management, as well as guide the Advisory programs in the Middle and Upper Schools, and serve as a resource for the school's character development programs. They also implement various educational programs throughout the school, designed to teach students strategies for coping with problems they might encounter.
Park Tudor's counselors often work in close collaboration with faculty and the school psychologists of The Russel & Mary Williams Learning Project at Park Tudor School to address students' learning differences, since many learning issues can have a psychological basis.
Park Tudor's Learning Services provides resources to help identify each student's unique learning style and assist them to become self-guided lifelong learners.
Park Tudor’s approach is to truly get to know each student, and understand their strengths and opportunities for growth. With guidance from Learning Services staff, teachers can then tailor their approach to best assist each child.
Learning Services include assessment and feedback, tutoring services, instruction and assistive technology. While not every student will require these services, every student benefits from Learning Services resources.
All Park Tudor students complete learning style inventories at various points during their academic career. For example, incoming freshmen complete the School Motivation and Learning Strategies Inventory (SMALSI), which helps students understand their individual strengths and weaknesses.
Learning Services staff help students with topics such as study skills, memory and learning strategies, reading comprehension strategies, test-anxiety management, and use of assistive technology.
For students requiring more extensive services, Learning Services provides:
Assessment and Feedback
- Individual psychoeducational assessment, using a school neuropsychological approach to identifying students’ strengths and weaknesses (available by referral to current Park Tudor students)
- Communication of effective strategies, interventions and/or accommodations
- Assistance in the identification and placement of students for curricular extension opportunities
- Subject-matter tutoring for all grade levels
- Tutoring for developing reading and math skills
- Referrals for speech/language and occupational therapy as needed
- Selection and training in technology, software and applications to help students learn most effectively, including text-to-speech, cognitive training software and others