June 5-30, 2017
Program Director: Dr. Francisco Hidalgo, Park Tudor World Languages Department
9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Registration: Minimum two weeks. Registration ends on May 1.
15% off for New Students who enroll in all 4 weeks of the program
15% off for Returning Students who enroll for 2 or 3 weeks
25% off for Returning Students who enroll in all 4 weeks
Spanish Immersion Summer Program is back! It is a really unique program that combines an outstanding opportunity for learning with a fun and relaxed summer camp. Immersion is the secret to learning a foreign language. We are proud to offer this peerless language experience for Lower School students.
What do you mean by immersion?
Learning a foreign language by living it.
- The student not only attends formal language classes but also lives the language.
- All classes are taught entirely in Spanish.
- Speaking in another language at any time is discouraged or forbidden.
- All cultural activities are presented and experienced in Spanish.
- The student lives in a completely Spanish- speaking community.
- We want our students to really learn the language.
- It is fun.
- Students gain an understanding of a different culture.
- It is the fastest, most efficient way to improve oral command of a foreign language.
Spanish is, after English, the second most widely spoken language in the world. It is spoken by over 400 million people, and it is the official language of 22 countries. In the US alone, it is spoken by an estimated 50 million people with the Latino population as the fastest growing minority in the country.
What can I expect from the program?
- Typically, students who participate in a 4-week immersion program experience a great boost in oral skills.
- Capacity to understand the language improves exponentially, strengthening future learning of Spanish or other languages.
Much more than just language classes!
Improving students’ language skills is our main goal, but we offer much more than that. Our program approaches complete, Spanish cultural immersion in the comfort of Indianapolis. From the moment students enter campus, they are “officially” in Spain. They will not speak English, and they will experience a broad range of the Spanish cultural activities such as music, drama, games, sports and cinema.
A typical day in the immersion program:
- 9 a.m. Passport check-in “Bienvenidos a España” 1st class period: Spanish culture
- 10:00 a.m. 2nd Class period: Spanish language and Grammar
- 10:50 a.m. Break
- 11:00 a.m. 3rd class period: Conversation
- 12:00 p.m. lunch and recess
- 1:00 p.m. Sports and games
- 2:00 p.m. Afternoon activities: Drama, Choir, Latin dances, cooking, swimming, field trips, movies, and more.
*Scheduling varies from one division to another.
For more information, please contact Program Director Francisco Hidalgo.