Global Online Academy
Park Tudor students have the opportunity to take online classes through the school's membership in Global Online Academy. GOA is an organization of leading independent schools offering for-credit courses with exceptional educators and peers from around the world.The mission of Global Online Academy is:
- to replicate in online classrooms the intellectually rigorous programs and excellent teaching that are hallmarks of its member schools
- to foster new and effective ways, through best practices in online education, for students to learn
- to promote students' global awareness and understanding by creating truly diverse, worldwide, online schoolroom communities.
More than 60 independent schools around the world are members of GOA. All courses are taught by a selection of teachers from member schools.
The course workload and intensity of GOA online courses is equivalent to courses taken in the school setting at Park Tudor. In a typical week, students commit 6-8 hours to their online course. Students log on to the online learning system on a regular basis to complete assignments and engage with the class. Students collaborate with their classmates, often using video conferencing and discussion threads.
Key Benefits of Online Courses with Global Online Academy
- Students learn how to communicate effectively through email and digital venues, as well as how to collaborate with others through virtual tools.
- GOA uniquely prepares students for what they will encounter in college and in the workforce.
- Students develop a global awareness by participating in cross-cultural discussions and generating insights that they can bring back to the classrooms of Park Tudor.
- Students learn to be critical users of media.
- GOA fosters collaboration that benefits the whole school.
- Teachers become part of an expanded network of exceptional educators with whom they can collaborate and share ideas.
While students in grades 9-11 may apply, rising seniors and juniors will receive priority. Students may not take more than one GOA course per semester. GOA courses are part of a student's regular course of study and should not be viewed as additions to their course load. Students and advisors should understand that GOA courses are rigorous and time intensive, requiring 6-8 hours per week of course time and homework preparation. Therefore, while a number of qualities will be considered in determining student enrollment in a GOA course, special consideration will be given to a student's overall course of study; demonstrated academic success; ability to work independently and to meet deadlines; and general academic maturity. Final decisions regarding enrollment will be based on a student's past record and potential for success in a GOA course.
Interested in taking a GOA course?
Contact Park Tudor GOA Site Director: